Renters Insurance Claim Lawyers in Dallas & Houston, Texas

Do I Need A Lawyer For Renters Insurance Claims?

Houston Skyline

Renters Insurance Claim Lawyers in Dallas & Houston, Texas

Texas Litigation Firm Representing Clients Across the U.S.

Contact the Renters Insurance Lawyers in Dallas & Houston, Texas Today

Renters insurance is available to people who rent an apartment or house and protects against loss or damage to your personal belongings and contents in the event of a loss. Unfortunately, a landlord’s or owner’s insurance is unlikely to cover their tenant’s property in the event of a fire, water loss or theft, among other potential causes of loss. Renters insurance is usually very affordable and generally covers losses from fire and smoke, windstorm, water damage, theft and vandalism. Your renters insurance should also provide additional living expenses if you are unable to live in your home or apartment after the loss due to a covered peril.

At Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, we have assisted or represented policyholders with renters insurance policies for more than 15 years. Our Texas lawyers for renters insurance claims will diligently pursue your rights under the insurance policy if your claim was delayed, underpaid or denied.

Contact Grisham & Kendall Today

The attorneys at Grisham & Kendall, PLLC have represented Houston residents for more than 20 years. We offer a review of your policy and claim and are happy to discuss the issues related to renters insurance. If you would like our renters insurance claim attorneys to review your insurance policy at no cost and with no obligation, please call Grisham & Kendall, PLLC at (214) 308-2027 to schedule a call or contact us using the form.

Recent Reviews

My wife and I thought we were heading into a complicated legal odyssey with a destroyed commercial property until we hired Bill Kendall. His sustained focus and hard work was so effective that we had a great settlement within hours of the first deposition.
F. Jones
Multi-Family Property Claim (Dallas, TX)
Our large hotel was severely damaged by hail. After significant delays by the insurance company, our claim was denied. We hired Bill Kendall and Grisham & Kendall soon after. Through Bill’s efforts during our lawsuit, we were able to reach a favorable settlement close to trial. We would certainly recommend Grisham & Kendall, PLLC to any property owner whose insurance company isn’t treating them fairly.
D. Patel
Hotel Hail Claim

Homeowner Insurance Lawyers in Texas

We specialize in representing policyholders and have a wealth of experience in aggressively pursuing insurance companies on behalf of our clients. Realizing that people often come to us during difficult circumstances, we strongly believe in offering free initial consultations, and we will even meet you on site if necessary. The compassionate, competent, and seasoned attorneys at Grisham & Kendall, PLLC are ready to guide you in your legal battles against insurance companies and help you find peace of mind again.

Contact Us

If your renters insurance claim payout has been denied or underpaid, please contact the Renters Insurance Claim lawyers of Grisham & Kendall, PLLC at (214) 308-2027. We don’t charge for the initial consultation and we represent most insurance clients on a contingency-fee basis where you don’t owe us anything unless we recover money from the insurance company through settlement or litigation.

See Also: Tips For Choosing Renters Insurance

Replacement Cost Coverage

For most homeowners, their home is their most valuable asset and, as such, many buy homeowner’s insurance to protect this valuable piece of property. When you buy homeowner’s insurance, you have several options available for varying levels of coverage. In general, the standard homeowner’s insurance policy includes replacement costs for certain hazards, such as fires, severe weather, and theft, and liability coverage for when someone injures themselves on your property. However, there are varying levels of cost replacement coverage. Typically, people are covered with replacement cost coverage, which does not fully compensate for all losses. Only a “guaranteed replacement cost coverage” policy will allow you to fully recover the expense of rebuilding your home as before.

If your home was damaged due to theft, a fire, severe weather, or other disaster, and your insurance company is attempting to underpay or deny your claim, you may need to consult with a Texas renters insurance attorney about taking legal action to get the financial compensation you need. Contact our legal team of Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, at (214) 308-2027 to speak with an attorney about your case today.

How Replacement Cost Coverage Is Calculated

Most people have only regular replacement cost coverage, which determines how much your insurance company is willing to pay in advance of any damage. This amount is calculated by looking at the state of your home at the time of your insurance coverage purchase. Factors taken into consideration include:

  • Location of the home
  • Size of the home
  • Number of rooms
  • Building material
  • Extra amenities

A rare, and expensive, type of insurance coverage is called “guaranteed replacement cost coverage.” This coverage guarantees that the cost of replacing damaged parts of your home is fully covered without any limitations.

Contact Us

At Grisham & Kendall, PLLC , our Dallas homeowners & renters insurance attorneys are committed to helping people obtain the compensation from their insurance companies they need after their home is damaged. To speak with an attorney about your case today, contact us at (214) 308-2027.

Levels of Home Insurance

Home insurance in the U.S. falls into eight different levels. Each level is based on how much coverage you wish to have, what kind of housing you own, and how much you are willing to pay for the protection offered by each level. Whether you have coverage for your house, condo, or mobile home, your insurance company has a duty to stand by the terms of the agreement made between you and them.

When insurance companies fail to abide by their promises to policyholders by denying or underpaying legitimate claims, it is sometimes necessary to employ the help of a skilled and knowledgeable insurance lawyer. Our Dallas insurance attorneys of Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, are dedicated to helping individuals get the payment they may be due from their insurance companies. To speak with one of our attorneys today, contact us at (214) 308-2027.

Varying Levels of Coverage

Homeowners who purchase home insurance do so in order to protect the serious investment they made when buying their home. A homeowner has a number of different options for protecting their home as there are several different levels of home insurance, such as:

  • HO-1: A limited policy that covers damage caused by 10 specific problems
  • HO-2: Covers a broader spectrum of damage than HO-1
  • HO-3: Covers any damage, unless specifically excluded in the policy
  • HO-4: Renters’ insurance that covers property and liability, but not the housing itself
  • HO-5: Premier homeowners’ insurance that covers anything unless specifically excluded
  • HO-6: Insurance for owners of condominiums
  • HO-7: Insurance for mobile homes
  • HO-8: Insurance of older homes, which usually have greater replacement expenses

Despite the many options of homeowner’s insurance, every person who has any type of policy deserves to be properly compensated by their insurance company in the event of a disaster or loss.

Contact Us

If your insurance company has failed in their duty to provide payment for damages to your property or possessions, don’t hesitate to call on a skilled and qualified attorney for assistance. Our Houston & Dallas renters insurance attorneys of Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, may be able to help you get the payment you need. Contact us today at (214) 308-2027.

Types of Homeowners’ Insurance

One of the various kinds of property that a person can insure is their home. A person’s home is usually their most valuable investment, so it only makes sense to protect it with insurance. Homeowners’ insurance is paid to provide financial benefits in the event of various misfortunes which may befall the property or its contents. The terms of a policy will specify what is and what is not covered, and to what extent.

Commonly covered risks are fires, theft, break-ins, smoke damage, and lightning. If your home is damaged from something covered in your policy, your insurance company should help pay the repair or replacement costs. If they do not, they are acting in bad faith.

If your home was damaged and your insurance company refuses to fulfill its obligation to cover the repair costs, you may have legal recourse. You need a lawyer who has experience helping people collect tough insurance claims. The Dallas homeowners’ insurance attorneys at the offices of
Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, are prepared to help you to pursue the policy benefits which you are due. Contact us at (214) 308-2027 today.

Types of Coverage

Homeowners insurance can cover you for almost any situation that may occur in or around your home. Coverage can extend to:

  • The house’s structure
  • Your property inside the home
  • Liabilities that occur in and around your home
  • The costs of temporary living expenses if something happens to your home

Insurance companies provide all of this coverage so their customers can have peace of mind in the event of an accident or disaster. Unfortunately, sometimes insurance companies are more interested in protecting their own bottom line than in the rights of their policyholders.

Contact Us

If your homeowners’ insurance company is not paying your claims in bad faith, you need an attorney to help you to enforce the terms of your policy. Even the playing field with help from the experienced Dallas homeowners’ insurance lawyers of Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, contact us today by calling
(214) 308-2027 to learn more about your legal options.

Renters Insurance Claims FAQ

Insurance companies look out for their own interests, so you should have someone looking out for yours. When you file a claim, you expect the insurance company to honor the policy that you have with them. Unfortunately, they are adept at finding ways to underpay, deny, or delay your claim. Trying to stand up to an insurance company on your own is usually a costly, time-consuming, and fruitless undertaking. They have armies of attorneys working to protect their bottom line, and the less they have to pay you, the more they get to keep for themselves. The most sensible and successful approach to ensure that you receive full compensation is to enlist the help of a renters insurance attorney.

Call Us At (214) 308-2027

Based in Dallas & Houston, the team at Grisham & Kendall, PLLC has been helping people throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas, and Colorado with their insurance claims for more than fifteen years. Being a small firm allows us to provide more personalized service to each of their clients. Unlike most law firms, we believe every client is important enough to work with one of our founding partners. Every client we serve is assigned one of our founding partners who will be available to that client throughout the legal process.

The following are some important things to consider before purchasing a renters insurance policy:

  • Create an inventory of your belongings, and estimate their combined value so that you know how much you need in coverage.
  • Get rate quotes from several companies to compare costs.
  • Buy only from licensed insurance agencies or companies.
  • Consider the financial strength and rating of the insurance companies you are choosing from.
  • Answer questions from insurance companies truthfully to get the most accurate picture of possible coverage.

There are generally two types of renters insurance policies: named-peril policies and all-risk policies. For both types of insurance, there is a cap at which the policies will not cover any amount over that specified dollar amount. Similar to other types of insurance, both types of renters insurance policies use deductibles and pay you after you reach your deductible if property is lost or stolen.

  • Named-Peril Policies: Also called specific-peril policies, they cover the loss of property only from the events listed in the policy. For example, a policy may list theft, earthquakes, and tornadoes; but if a hurricane hits, you will not be covered by the policy.
  • All-Risk Policies: Also called comprehensive policies, they are more expensive than named-peril policies. They cover every kind of loss unless there is a certain event listed that they wish to exclude.

If you are renting a home or apartment, there may still be a need for insurance. While homeowners have a need to cover the costs of potential damage to the structure of their home, such as roof leaks, broken windows, fire damage, and more, renters do not need to worry about these things because they do not own the home, and damage like that should be covered by the actual owner’s insurance. The landlord’s insurance does not, however, cover the renters’ personal property or certain accidents that occur on the property they are renting. With renters’ insurance, renters may be able to secure coverage for these incidents.

If you have renters’ insurance and an incident has occurred that should be covered but your claim has been denied or underpaid, you may need the help of a qualified attorney. The Dallas renters insurance attorneys of Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, have years of experience helping renters get the payment they are due when their insurance company fails to stand by their commitment.

There are typically three types of coverage offered by renter’s insurance:

  • Personal Property: This type of coverage offers to replace or repair personal property that is lost or stolen up to a certain dollar amount as indicated on the policy. This coverage often extends to traveling and will cover luggage and other personal items that may go missing when you are abroad. There are often limits to the amount of compensation allowed for types of personal property. These limits are dependent on the terms listed in your policy, such as $5,000 for jewelry, $500 for personal papers, and $100 for cash. You can also purchase additional coverage if your personal property is valued more than the limits laid out on in your policy.
  • Loss of Use: This type of coverage offers living expenses for a specified period of time if you have to vacate your residence. If a natural disaster strikes your home and renders it unlivable for a period of time, for example, this type of coverage provides you with money for food and rent for a specified period of time as outlined in your policy.
  • Personal Liability: This type of coverage protects you from being held liable if someone is injured in your home. People who operate businesses out of their homes find these policies especially helpful to protect themselves from claims or lawsuits filed against them in the event of an accident.

Renters’ insurance does not need to cover the actual building, because that property does not belong to the policyholder. However, it can cover the following:

  • Losses incurred by theft or robbery
  • Property that is damaged or lost in a fire
  • Medical expenses for those who are injured on the property
  • Temporary living expenses if the apartment or home is being repaired

Actual cash value is what most insurance companies use to reimburse you for lost and stolen property. They take the initial value of the item and factor in depreciation and your deductible to arrive at what the actual cash value is for your property. For instance, if you had a 10-year-old bicycle stolen, the insurance company would deduct a certain amount for depreciation over 10 years from the initial value of the bicycle. This type of policy would not give you enough money to replace the bicycle you owned.

For a higher premium, you can choose a replacement-cost policy that offers you the amount needed to replace the item. This type of policy would give you enough money to replace the bicycle you owned. Replacement-cost policies often implement caps on how much they will pay for items, and after a certain amount, they will only offer actual cash value.

Many apartment renters make the mistake of thinking their landlords have insurance on their complexes. While it is true that they may have certain kinds of insurance, such as protection in case a building burns down, it is unlikely that the items inside the building (the renters’ belongings) will be covered as well. Renters’ insurance exists to protect an apartment tenant’s property from theft, fire, or other disasters.

If your renters’ insurance claim was denied and you feel as though the insurance company acted in bad faith, the Dallas & Houston renters’ insurance lawyers at Grisham & Kendall, PLLC, are prepared to help you to seek the benefits which you are due. Contact us at (214) 308-2027 to schedule a consultation with an experienced Dallas, Texas renters insurance attorney.

Averaging approximately $19 a month, renters’ insurance is relatively inexpensive. Apartments in areas with higher crime rates are more expensive to cover. Ground level apartments are more costly to cover than apartments on the second story or above because they are more likely to be broken into.

In the unfortunate event that you need to make a claim on renters’ insurance, it helps to have some evidence of the items you lost. Keep receipts for expensive items in a safe place can help you prove your claim later on. Photographs of your belongings can also be submitted as evidence. If your renters’ insurance provider denies your claim despite your bookkeeping, they may be acting in bad faith.

We Look Forward to Reviewing Your Case With No Obligations and Costs Involved. CONTACT US
Attorney Services Nearby